Can hearing aids harm your hearing the other way around?

Home Forums Everything Else Can hearing aids harm your hearing the other way around?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BrauniLopes
    Participant

Hi all! I have this question: When someone wears hearing aids, we assume they have hearing loss but can still hear. Wouldn’t amplifying the incoming sound through the hearing aids destroy the remaining hearing?
    I would be happy to read your answers.

Iferusss
    Participant

One of the causes of hearing damage is loud noise, it is true. However, the sound must exceed the pain threshold (which basically warns you that the sound is too loud and could cause damage). It’s been a long time since I last wore hearing aids, but I clearly remember occasionally turning my instruments louder and feeling a “tickle” from the incoming sounds, which I now think was a sign that the input was too loud. and reaching that pain threshold. Since I did not like this “tickling” sensation, I always adjusted my controls lower, to a more comfortable level. In doing so, I prevented damage. In short, no, hearing aids, properly worn and adjusted, cannot make you “deaf.”

GodZilla
    Participant

Hello to you, too. Thank you for a rather interesting question. If you wear hearing aids and they help your hearing, your body gets used to that level of hearing. If you then take them off, your body may have to adjust to the fact that they won’t work for a while to return to normal. If your hearing aids did not need adjusting, I assume you will not become deafer. When my dad lost his hearing, we went to a hearing aids store and decided to consult on the issue. We were told that all hearing aids only amplify the sound, but do not make it unacceptable to the person. In any case, it seems to me that hearing aids only help and do no harm.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything Else’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics