Laptop Vs. Desktop: The Pros and Cons
Are you planning to buy a computer, but aren’t sure whether to get a laptop or a desktop? Both options come with pros and cons, so we’ve created a quick list to help you with your decision.
- Portability – Laptops can be taken with you wherever you go , meaning you have access to your files anywhere.
- Good for business on the go – Because of its portability, laptops are perfect if you travel for work. You can deliver demonstrations, presentations and showcase your work without the need for bulky projecting equipment.
- Connectivity – Laptops allow you to connect to wireless networks while you’re on the go, perfect for accessing the Internet for work or entertainment.
- Battery powered – Because laptops run on batteries, they don’t always need to be plugged in, increasing their portability and giving you something to do if there’s ever a power cut!
- Space – Laptops take up less space than desktops, and it’s always good to have extra room!
- Small – Some people may find laptops more difficult to use than desktops because they use smaller mice (trackpads) and keyboards. You can, of course, buy a separate keyboard and mouse for the laptop but this detracts from the portability.
- Expensive – Maintaining and repairing a laptop is expensive. It usually requires the help of a professional, as the parts of a laptop are difficult to get access to, so the bills could add up.
- Easily damaged – Laptops can be flimsy, and because they aren’t rooted to the spot, they’re easily dropped and damaged.
- Easily stolen – As highlighted above, laptops aren’t rooted to the spot – they can be taken without your knowledge.
- Great for gamers – Better graphics and a faster processor mean that a desktop is perfect for gamers.
- Cheaper than a laptop – The components of a desktop are often cheaper than a laptop
- Security – Desktops are bulky, have multiple components and are difficult to transport – they are far less likely to be stolen!
- Static – Desktops are stuck in one place so aren’t suited for people who want a computer on-the-go
- Space – Desktops take up a lot of space. This may not be a problem for some people, but others prefer a more compact device.
Laptops and desktops both have their shortcomings, so it’s entirely dependent on what you’re looking for. If you need a compact, portable computer, then a laptop is for you. If you prefer a static, cheaper, faster computer, go for the desktop. We hope this helps!
Computer Repair Services - PC Maintenance - Home Networking - Call Out and Onsite Computer Repairs - Apple Mac Repair & Maintenance - PC and Laptop Virus Removal - Computer Lessons & Tuition - Product Supply - PC and Laptop Tune-Up - Wireless Installation/Signal Extension - Data Recovery - Hardware Repairs - IT Support for Home and Business - Laptop Repair - Internet, Broadband and Networking - Network Printer Sharing - VOIP Phone Systems - Network Troubleshooting - CCTV Services - Web Design and Social Media